Scrap Factory Expanaion Packs

Friday, May 09, 2008

HELP Inkscape when you want a black base LESSSON Part 1

Many people have been asking for me to make a lesson on how to make the .svg for things like my bugs bunny and bambi I did so here it is
(it is not hard I just did it in a lot of pictures so as i can show everything)



Open inkscape , file, import

Select the picture you want

then view , outline

your image will turn into a red x that is alright

Path, trace bitmap

and ok ( i pushed update to get view of picture on side)

Your image will appear over the red x move it of the x

Highlight the red x and push control x on your keyboard
(or edit, delete up on control panel)

You now have your image ready to edit

Highlight, path, break apart

Now control c on your keyboard will copy this
Now control v on key board for as many colours you are going to want in your picture
(this picture i want black for base, red for car, gray for mouse/trims and pink for ear THAT is 4)

now start on one picture at a time this one i am going to have as the base so i have to highlight one part at a time and control x on the keyboard till i take everything away till it leaves the base

Continue to control x till they are all gone
(if you take something a way that you needed push control z and it will return)

Then you have your base that looks like this
Now to the next set of image i want this one red for the car so i highlight pieces and control x the pieces that i don't want red

Continue taking pieces of including the base bit of this picture

So it looks like this

And don't want wheels or trims red so take them off too

this one i need the gray mouse and trims so i highlight and take away all but the gray bits including the base part

So it looks like this
Now the pink ear means taking all but the inner ear piece
**_______________________________________________________________________**
Now select all

All selected

To object and group

Now they are all grouped

To path and UNION

NOW file save as

And save as -------.svg

Open Sure cuts a lot , file , import svg and select your picture

Now you place the card stock on the mat where the colours are needed and CUT

NOW tomorrow i will show how I make bigger ones on these on inkscape and into stand up cards

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome - thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a fantastic lesson!!! Love the step by step and pictures.

Le Bleu Bonnet Boutique said...

You are so awesome for taking the time to do this. I love your blog. Thanks for sharing your talents.

Linda1 said...

Thank you very much. I am trying to learn inkscape and your lessons have really helped.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Awesome thanks for much for taking the time to share this with us.
Love your site.

Anonymous said...

There is no way I could do this without your lessons. Thank you!!

Jen said...

Susan,
Once again you have saved me from pulling my hair out.
The "tutorial" on Inkscape is not nearly as helpful as it needs to be. Thank you for taking the time to put your tutorial together with pictures and details so that us newbies can figure out how to do things too!!
Fabulous!!!

Brenda said...

Susan,

I wanted you to know how wonderful this tutorial is! If it wasn't for you I would have thrown my SCAL in the trash!

Thank you so much for all that you do so we can learn!

Edee said...

Thankyou so much Susan. I have read so many tutorials on this but this is the first one that made sense to me and i could follow and it worked, I am so thankful. You did a wonderful job, I appreciate it. Will be looking at the next tutorial too. Thanks

Lauren said...

You are a lifesaver! Thank you so much!

Allison and Adam said...

Thanks Susan, i'm finally giving this a go, with success thanks to you!

Jessica ML said...

susan,

I found this post so helpful. I am just beginning to use Inkscape and have images that I am importing and attempting to get the background traced. This has been just the answer.

I do have one question that I hope you can help me with or at least point me to one of your tutorials.

There is one image that imported and traced and when I broke it apart some there are a couple of spots where the lines are not connected. I am unable to connect the line without creating lines that cut.

Can you point me to more information on how to solve my problem.

Thanks so much for your tutorials!

Jessica
jlester523@aol.com